Friday, September 4, 2009

slow down, you move too fast

These past few weeks have been insanely busy for me. Actually, if you count our two back-to-back vacations, the whole month of August has been busy. There have been a lot of fun activities that have filled my schedule, but I haven't just been busy in regards to time. I've been emotionally busy. Mentally busy. Intellectually busy. Spiritually busy. Busy-in-ways-I-don't-know-how busy. For some reason, I just haven't been able to slow down. It's getting a little hard to fall asleep at night, and if I wake up in the middle of the night, my mind starts to race for at least an hour.

I really think this upcoming month won't be so busy - but who knows? Sam has shifted to the one-nap-a-day schedule, which means I have very little time to read, prepare my art history publication, work on lecture notes, etc. I also think that my "emotional busy-ness" will continue for a while, which is partially due to my mom's escalating cancer cell counts. So, ugh, we'll see. I might just need to learn how to deal with being too busy (and my friends know that I like to be a busy person by nature, so my definition of "too busy" really does mean overwhelming).

I do want to get out of this rut and make some changes, though. J and I are going on a date tonight, for the first time in months. It will be nice to have the pace slow down and just be together. Our plan for the evening? Peruse through an awesome used bookstore (we probably won't be able to afford any books, but that's okay) and then go to a free admission night at a local art museum. It should be fun. And I hope that time slows down, at least for a few hours.

My other plan to help things slow down? Pick up some fiction. I've gotten myself into a non-fiction rut and I can't get out. I need to read something that isn't academic or historical.

What do you do when your life starts to get overwhelming? Is there something you do to change the pace?

6 comments:

Zillah said...

i clean, obsessively. i wouldn't recommend it. i also drive for hours. i also wouldn't recommend it, since it ups one's gas bill considerably. my other recommendation: force yourself to cross one thing off your list. prioritize. make yourself give something up, and after a little while, you might not notice it's gone anymore.

the flowers are booty and grace!

ixoj said...

I read fiction that I've already read dozens of times, the kind I can sink deep into and forget everything going on around me.

e said...

You poor girl. I'm so sorry for all the busy, stressful things in your life. Your plate is very full.

When things get too busy and hard for me, I just end up holding it in until I can't stand and write a blog like yesterday's blog ... then I feel immediately guilty for complaining.

In terms of your mom, well, take it as best you can, but also allow yourself to feel crappy about it. The Lord is going to path the way.

I do very much support reading some good fiction. I don't know if you've read "Hunger Games" -- it's not fantastic, but it is light, easy reading that's pretty decent.

e said...

Oh, and again, so far behind on your art blog. I just like to be able to read them, look at the links you provide, do research on the internet, etc. so I can't read them when I only have 10 minutes, you know?

melissa mae said...

I'm so sorry about your mom. My moms counts are up as well, she just finished radiation. I'll keep your mom in my prayers.

joolee said...

i go jogging to clear my head. some people hate the exertion that comes with lots of exercise, but wow, that's what calms me down every time. i'm sorry about your mom, monica. you're both in my thoughts!

oh and for some awesome fiction, have you read Hunger Games??? The sequel, Catching Fire, just came out, but I haven't got my hands on it yet...can't wait! you just need to get lost in some fiction (or exercise :) ) and forget everything else. :)