I think most people are familiar with the Scarlet Pimpernel story, either from a movie or the musical, but I would guess that a lot of people haven't actually read the book. (Am I right? Have you read it?) Perhaps people are even familiar enough with the story to quote the little poem that Percy recites ("We seek him here, we seek him there, Those Frenchies seek him everywhere. Is he in heaven? Is he in hell? That demmed, elusive Pimpernel!").
It's not surprising that the Scarlet Pimpernel story was turned into a play and musical. When reading the introduction of this book, I learned that Orczy wrote this book with the hope that it would be performed onstage. You can really see how different scenes within the story are well-written for a play, especially when Marguerite is hiding in the inn and watching all of the action take place. And even though the plot is furthered by all-too-convenient conversations and explanations (do villains ever reveal their master plans to anyone who happens to ask?), such a device would be appropriate during a play, when the plot needs to move forward in a concise manner.
The plot revolves around a daring, mysterious Englishman who saves French aristocrats from the guillotine in 1792. Okay, truth be told, this is really a story about Marguerite, the woman who tries to discover the identity of the Scarlet Pimpernel (and consequently save him from death). If you like stories about the French Revolution, adventure, or romance, you should read this book. I especially liked the romantic aspect of this book. It was fun to follow Marguerite's process of falling in love with her husband, especially as she realized that he wasn't really a mindless fop, but actually an extremely intelligent man.
4 comments:
I haven't read "The Scarlet Pimpernel", though, I think it sounds really interesting now that you've done a review.
Do you ever feel like your list of books to read just grows and grows and grows? I feel like I'm not even making a dent in my list!
YES - the reading list is never ending. Sometimes I get overwhelemd when I go to libraries - there's so much to read and so little time! Next up for me, though, is "Picture of Dorian Gray," thanks to your recommendation, e!
I'm actually really excited to hear/read what you end up thinking about it. I really think it is an interesting book. I think the language and descriptions are so flowy (is that a word?), and I like the serious moral questions and dilemmas that come into place (even if they are totally unlikely).
I really want to read the book you reviewed last -- the one about the maid (?). I need to look through your archives and get the name. Can you remind me if you've ever done a post on "must reads"? I'd definitely like to know what are about 2 or 3 of your absolute musts for reading.
Yes, villains always tell the good guys their nefarious acts and plans when asked. It happens in every single Hardy Boys book. It's particularly effective when the good guys are bound and gagged or maybe handcuffed to a stationary object which prevents their escape.
And really, the Hardy Boys are like, the ultimate.
Post a Comment