I almost decided not to write this post, because right now I don't like thinking about death. Anything related to death makes me sad, because I instantly think of my mom (and now, since this past month, also my grandpa). So I prefer to not think about death or people dying. My brain, though, falls back on those subjects somewhat often, which I suppose is normal for someone who has lost a loved one recently. But I don't want to think about death, and I'd rather push those thoughts away. Right now I'm trying to focus on life.
That being said, this slideshow on the Guardian is just too interesting to leave unnoticed. The slideshow is a compilation of the last words spoken by several different literary figures, including Samuel Johnson, James Joyce, Franz Kafka, Mark Twain, Virginia Woolf, and Emily Dickinson. The slides also include some historical information regarding the deathbed events for these great figures, which is quite interesting. Many of the entries were quite moving.
Saturday, August 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
M, I completely understand what you said in your first paragraph. I feel like my mind turns to thoughts about death very easily -- far more than it ever used to years ago -- and I hate it.
I have often started to write things that won't even necessarily be about death, but the words or expressions someone how remind me of death, so I delete it. Glad (in a weird way) that I'm not the only one.
It was interesting to read all those literary greats' last words. I had no idea that Mark Twain predicted he'd go out with the comet. That's kind of spooky. Virginia Woolf's death is particularly tragic, too.
Post a Comment