I had a realization in church today, and unfortunately it had nothing to do with the improvement of my character. Instead, I realized that the reason I am consistently bothered with "Mormon lore" is that such stories are usually untrue in terms of historical events and facts. It's the historian in me that gets bugged when I hear a bit of Mormon lore.Today I had to refrain from shaking my head in disagreement during sacrament meeting, when a woman stood up to tell a story about Louis XVII (shown on the right in a 1792 portrait by Kucharsky). To give you a little bit of (accurate) historical background: this young prince was the son of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette. During the French Revolution, he and his family members were taken into captivity. Louis XVII was imprisoned in the tower of the Paris Temple from 1792 until his death in 1795.
The speaker in today's sacrament meeting decided to quote a story which seems to have originally appeared (among LDS circles) in a New Era article by Vaughn J. Featherstone (1975). According to this alleged historical account, Louis XVII maintained high standards of morale and character during his imprisonment, despite his captors' attempts to introduce the boy to foul language, lewd women, rich foods, etc. Instead of buckling to slavish appetites and crude ways, the boy defiantly resisted, saying, "I cannot do what you ask, for I was born to be a king." Countless LDS speakers, articles, and church manuals have since used this quote (for example, it appeared last year in a talk by Elaine S. Dalton), and Steven R. Covey apparently references the story in his book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens. In fact, when I did a Google search for this quote, almost all of the references were from LDS sources - none of them were from scholarly, historical accounts.
Now, for a little bit of accuracy and scholarship: as of yet, I have never come across any historical source that discusses Louis XVII resisting foul language and worldly pleasures. Perhaps he may have resisted at some point, or perhaps this story originated by a group who was sympathetic to the royal family - but I am not familiar with any such account. Actually, the history books I have read (including one that I read just over a year ago) tell quite an opposite story: captors did want to affect the boy's morale, and were delighted to see him using foul and rude language. I remember reading something about a doctor visiting the prince, and noting that the boy had formed uncouth habits (which I will leave to your imagination - you can email me if you want specifics). Louis XVII was taught to say horrible things about his mother and sister (who would have been able to hear the boy say these things from another floor in the tower) and to sing the Carmagnole. The list goes on and on. Really, the story is quite sad, especially since Louis XVII was only seven years old when he was brought into captivity. This was a very young, impressionable boy who died after a few years in his captivity. Despite stories of a "Lost Dauphin" prince who escaped from the prison, DNA testing proved in 2000 that the boy actually died in the Temple tower.
If the "for I was born to be a king" quote and story did not originate from a royalist sympathizer in the late 18th century, it's very likely that it originated in the early 20th century. In 1903, this quote appeared in a book that contained moral stories ("illustrations") which were intended to be used from the pulpit to help "save a sermon from unbroken dulness [sic]."1 The Princeton Theological Review suggests that this Louis XVII quote might have been "absolutely new" at the time (perhaps inferring the story would have been a new addition those "illustrations" which were currently used in religious sermons, but I think it also could suggest that the story had been concocted around the time of the book's publication). I think that Featherstone became familiar with this Louis XVII story in the 1970s because it had become popular among religious circles and used in sermons. The story obviously continues to be popular, at least among Mormons. And the rest, my friends, is history. Mormon lore history.
P.S. I know that there is a nice sentiment behind the "for I was born to be a king" story, and I don't mind that. If people can derive some type of moral or inspiring message from the story, go for it. But I really dislike propagating or telling these kinds of stories, because they simply are not true or cannot be verified. If we're going to tell a story from the pulpit, can't it just start with "once upon a time?" The meaning of the message will be just as clear, and then we won't be propagating historical inaccuracies.
1 Princeton Theological Seminary, The Princeton Theological Review, vol. 2 (MacCalla & Co. Inc., 1904), 353. Available online here.
17 comments:
love it! this stuff also makes me frustrated. i don't understand why people can't do a little background research before writing a talk.
it's also a little strange that a story about the innate virtue and worth of a member of the monarchy has such currency within a religion that talks about how the entire history of the world is geared towards the founding of the us and the creation of the constitution...
may i nominate the myths of martin luther and william tyndale as the next installment in what should be a regular series?
This post is direct proof as to why I consider you one of my closest friends (sorry, you get no say in the matter).
Amen to this!!! Thanks for speaking up!
Not much more to say than AMEN! And I share your frustration completely. I think the real problem with these kinds of "lore" stories is that people can get cynical when they find out they're not true, not just about these particular anecdotes but about the people who share them and then about the gospel altogether, which I think is tragic. Thanks for doing this sleuthing!
Here's the historian in me cringing. Here's the folklorist in me rejoicing. I mean it!
Great post. I think my favorite Mormon inaccuracy came from a Sunday school class I attended where a man asserted that there was such a thing as "righteous pride" and that you could find documentation of this in "The Pride and Prejudice." Pride and Prejudice does have some things to say about righteous pride, but I think he meant the Pearl of Great Price which to my knowledge doesn't discuss this variety of pride.
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'm glad to see that Melinda (and Jenn - from her Facebook comment) read this post. Now at least two people in my congregation know the actual story! :)
Zillah, you may be onto something. Perhaps this should become a regular series! There are other myths/misconceptions about Karl Marx and Charles Darwin that could be dispelled too...
Rachel, thanks for your comment! The "Pride and Prejudice" story cracked me up. Ha!
No doubt many of you have seen the movie, so recall, if you will, the scene from the 1982 Scarlet Pimpernel with Jane Seymour and Anthony Andrews where Louis is successfully induced to make lewd comments about his mother. It's interesting that they didn't write in any resistance on Louis' part, so I'm wondering if the encouragement by the jailers toward foul language is a myth that runs deeper than a few 20th century religious sermons.
Thanks for the comment, Jon. I actually thought about The Scarlet Pimpernel film when writing this post, but I didn't remember that specific scene. The foul language and horrible comments about Marie Antoinette appear in historical records from the 18th century (although, admittedly, those records could have been biased by those sympathetic to the revolution), so that part definitely goes back earlier than the 20th century. BUT - speaking of the early 20th century, this part of the film is inspired by Baroness Orczy's book "Eldorado," in which the Scarlet Pimpernel goes to save the Dauphin from the Tower. The book was published in 1906, just a few years after the sermon book which I mentioned in my post. I'll have to see if I can find a copy of "Eldorado" - it would be interesting to see if she mentions any resistance on the part of the young prince. From what I have found online, the book doesn't mention any resistance at all.
It's interestint that Louis does not show any resistance in the film, too - perhaps that gives evidence that the "for I was born to be a king" myth circulated in religious sermons, and didn't extend itself to other areas in the 20th century (i.e. film and novels)?
if i recall that scene from the scarlet pimpernel correctly, even though louis recites his catechism with mounting fervor, robespierre does eventually say that he detects a "trace of defiance in those royal eyes" and then instructs fouquet to carry on.
yes, k refuses to watch this movie with me. apparently it's irritating when someone recites a film the whole way through.
Ha! I love it! Thanks for filling in details, Zillah.
I'll watch this film with you anytime! I love to quote (in that silly, affected accent), "They seek him here, they seek him there..."
Ha! My Mormon upbringing was chock-full of soppy "truthiness". And this truth-y story has all the right earmarks: Temptation! Valor! Defiant abstinance! I wish that ehical complexity was as inspirational to the sermon-hearing crowd...
Rebekah, thanks for your comment! I understand what you are saying about ethical complexity. Along these lines, think that the sermon-hearing audience has changed since the early 20th century. This story might have had particular appeal to people back then, especially since the notions of triumph and valor would have been poignant during the WWI and WWII.
And obviously, the sermon-hearing audience has changed over the past few decades: I can debunk this whole story (and its history as LDS lore) through a simple Google search. Perhaps the Internet can change the face of Mormon lore?
I second Zillah's suggestion! Though people generally don't respond well when destroying their illusions, I think it would make church whole load more interesting.
My favorite Scarlet Pimp line comes to mind: "former queen and..whore"
I'm highly in favor of the use of 'once upon a time' to use allegories. I think your research is showing two things: one, most people (including General Authorities) are not scholars (not that it let's anyone off the hook); two, in the context of the pulpit, a good story can often override a desire for accuracy. This is too bad, since it undermines an otherwise perfectly fine message. Hence, I return to my first sentence...
so interesting! thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment