Since Sam has been born, I have had a couple of friends ask me, "So...uh...what do you do all day?" I have to admit, I was a little devastated when I finished up my art history research job after we brought Sam home from the hospital. I like working. I like to be busy. And I like money...er, financial security.
When my friends first started to ask me what I did to fill the day, I didn't know how to answer. To be honest, I didn't really think about how the day was being spent. It would just pass, seemingly with and without incident. I think a lot of the first few days were spent with me just looking at Sam, getting to know him. Although I still don't quite know how I spend my time, I thought that creating an 24 hour breakdown might be helpful, if only for myself:
3.5 hours - feeding and burping Sam (he usually eats every four hours or so)
3 hours - getting Sam to fall sleep
1 hour - playing with Sam while he is awake
1 hour - changing dirty diapers, changing Sam's clothes, giving Sam a bath, etc.
0.5 hour - laundry (yep, I have to do about a load of laundry every day now)
1.5 hours - showering, blow-drying hair, taking care of the house
1.5 hours - cooking, eating
2 hours - reading, talking with J
0.5 hour - doing postpartum exercises
2.5 hours - napping while Sam naps
4.5 hours - sleeping while Sam sleeps
1 hour - watching an episode of LOST online with J
1 hour - responding to emails, reading the news online, blogging, Facebooking, etc.
0.5 hour - gardening related activities (which often includes just staring at my flowers)
And, that's about it. I've decided to do some personal research on Caravaggio and have downloaded some PDFs to read while I nurse Sam. I want to start some research regarding Josiah Wedgewood and some 18th century abolitionist art - particularly the prototype of the kneeling African man (see here for an example). I also have developed the habit of searching for jobs online. I started looking for graphic design positions for J, but more and more searches for art history/curatorial jobs have been infiltrating my searches. I'm not looking for a job or anything. I'm just...curious.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
If you get really bored you can look up the Don Quijote Spanish/English school in Spain and tell me if you think it's a real school that can really pay me large amounts of Euros. I'm convinced, but Trav still isn't.
And I want to read whatever you think is most interesting about Caravaggio.
Are you the reason I can't find any decent Caravaggio books left at the library?! Someone out there is monopolizing them--but I've still got plenty of other stuff to work on, anyway.
I know what you mean about doing searches for things like jobs when you know that you're not going to apply--I do the same thing. I've been doing it with houses, too, even though I know we can't buy one for a while. Maybe we just like to know what we could do if we had alternate lives?
Kindle bo bindle, banana fanna fo fimble, me my mo mindle, KINDLE!
Oh, its Elmo by the way! :)
Post a Comment