P.S. Sam is doing a lot better too. He's still spitting up (hence the reason for the bath), but the spit up isn't brown and he's not doing it as frequently. It's really amazing what inspiration I've received as a mother to care for Sam. For example, I was praying in desperation the other night (I was SO, SO, SO tired and didn't think I could pull another all-nighter), and I remembered (really, I was inspired to remember) that my mom had given me a chair that Lydia used to use. Sam has been spitting up a lot when we lay him down in his bed, so we placed him in this chair which is set at a fairly high angle. He slept really well - and without any vomiting! We're going to try and keep him in this chair often. I think he does a lot better when his body is upright or set at a high angle - it seems to be more difficult for his food to work against gravity and come up.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
first time in the tub
Our doctor recommended that we give Sam sponge baths for the first few weeks of his life (mostly so his circumcision could heal). He's finally old enough now to get a bath in his little tub, which we did for the first time today.
He's not quite sure what to think of it.
I guess he decided in favor of the bath, since he cried when I wrapped him up.
Pharaoh Samuel in his nemes headcloth-esque towel (okay, so I've substituted an alligator for the traditional serpent)
All clean!
P.S. Sam is doing a lot better too. He's still spitting up (hence the reason for the bath), but the spit up isn't brown and he's not doing it as frequently. It's really amazing what inspiration I've received as a mother to care for Sam. For example, I was praying in desperation the other night (I was SO, SO, SO tired and didn't think I could pull another all-nighter), and I remembered (really, I was inspired to remember) that my mom had given me a chair that Lydia used to use. Sam has been spitting up a lot when we lay him down in his bed, so we placed him in this chair which is set at a fairly high angle. He slept really well - and without any vomiting! We're going to try and keep him in this chair often. I think he does a lot better when his body is upright or set at a high angle - it seems to be more difficult for his food to work against gravity and come up.
P.S. Sam is doing a lot better too. He's still spitting up (hence the reason for the bath), but the spit up isn't brown and he's not doing it as frequently. It's really amazing what inspiration I've received as a mother to care for Sam. For example, I was praying in desperation the other night (I was SO, SO, SO tired and didn't think I could pull another all-nighter), and I remembered (really, I was inspired to remember) that my mom had given me a chair that Lydia used to use. Sam has been spitting up a lot when we lay him down in his bed, so we placed him in this chair which is set at a fairly high angle. He slept really well - and without any vomiting! We're going to try and keep him in this chair often. I think he does a lot better when his body is upright or set at a high angle - it seems to be more difficult for his food to work against gravity and come up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
SAM IS ADORABLE!!!!! So this is what my old roomate is up too, Getting Married and having Babies!!!! You only have one right? How are you feeling? I want to keep in touch better than we have been. Whare are you living now?
Kindle, this is Carebear! Hiccup lead me to your blog. Sam is adorable. I am glad things are going well for you!!
Is it really all that bad to spit up (assuming it's not brown)? My sister kate usually left a trail of spit-up after her for months and months and months- to the point where her nickname became "Chunk of spit" (chunk because she was a fat baby, not because of her spit...though probably would have also been appropriate). Just wondering.
You're right,Ixoj, spit up itself is not bad - its normal. It's not normal, however, to spit up several ounces or to have the spit up project a foot or two upon upheaval. I should have explained his reflux problem better in the previous post - all of that was happening in tandem with the spit up being brown.
I love the look on his face as he's contemplating being in the tub. SO cute.
Monica I have that same towel! How funny...and I totally understand what you are saying about being scared to lose your "original" personality...although I can understand why some people do now...being a mom is completely all consuming for a while. I feel like I am coming out of it a little bit though--and from your blog entries it sounds like you are too! Good luck!
Post a Comment