Monday, July 20, 2009

sam's older sister?

From what I can tell, Fred Meyer has better prices than any other grocery store in the area. We shop there pretty faithfully, and I am starting to recognize most of the cashiers in the store. There is one particular cashier who likes to strike up a conversation with each customer that goes through his checkout stand. When Sam and I went through this chatty cashier's line today, he remarked (while pointing at Sam), "You always are in here with him." Then he mumbled something that I couldn't understand and smiled.

So I just smiled back and nodded.

It was only a split-second later, after nodding, that I realized what the cashier said. He asked, "Are you with him during the day because your mom and dad aren't at home?"

In other words, he thought Sam was my little brother.

It's probably good that I didn't understand his question right away. If I had answered that Sam was my own baby, I think the rest of the transaction would have been really awkward for both of us. And I felt awkward enough by that point.

Wow. I still can't decide if I should be flattered or slightly horrified by that whole incident.

7 comments:

Jaime said...

I think you should take it as a compliment - you look so youthful that people can't guess your age :)

I had the opposite experience one time when I was 12 or 13...I was carrying my baby brother around during a visit to the laundromat and a lady asked me how old my son was. :) I felt mortified/extremely indignant at the idea.

The checker might have figured it would be more embarrassing to assume he was your son and then find out he wasn't than the other way around...

e said...

Sure, take it as a compliment.

A slightly unsettling compliment, but still, a pretty good one at that.

Ashley said...

That's really funny! You do look young and that should be flattering. :)

Krystal said...

That's great! A few months ago, someone asked me if I had to get up early to go to my last week of school. (Forever seventeen, I guess.)

M said...

Oh good, Krystal, I'm glad that I'm not the only young mom who receives these types of comments! Ha! :)

And Jaime, I think you win for having a more mortifying experience - you must have looked really old for your age when you were younger. I would have been appalled if that happened to me as an early teen.

joolee said...

I'd take that as a compliment! I was actually just at Stake Girls Camp as a Cabin Mom and a girl asked me what year I was (I'd forgotten to wear my nametag that every leader was supposed to wear). I thought it was pretty funny. Turns out one other girl and I were the youngest leaders there. Hey, I didn't mind. :)

Bryson and Tara said...

How funny! I haven't had anyone ask me this yet, though I've been expecting it... I was still handed kid menus in my 20's, so I'm sure it's bound to happen...