We started our excursion by heading to Sunrise, which is the highest point that one can ascend Mt. Rainier by car. We picked this spot because there are several hikes in this area (see a list of day hikes at Mt. Rainier here).
As we left Sunrise, we got some great hiking advice from a ranger. J told her that we wanted to hike Silver Falls, and she recommended that we park just past the of the Stevens Canyon Entrance (the turnoff to Paradise, another popular Mt. Rainier area). She explained that from that parking lot there are two different trailheads, one to Silver Falls and the other to Grove of the Patriarchs. This isn't the typical way to hike Silver Falls (there is a much longer route described here), but I really recommend doing this hike if you have time constraints. It was easy to do Silver Falls, then backtrack to the parking lot, and begin a second hike to Grove of the Patriarchs. The two hikes are very different, and Grove of the Patriarchs is especially interesting and beautiful.
At the top of Silver Falls
Grove of the Patriarchs is an area full of beautiful, ancient trees. There are interesting signs explaining the types of trees (as well as their history) along the trail.
Sam standing in a semi-hollow, fallen tree.
More weekend adventures to come. If you want a sneak peek, look here.
10 comments:
it looks like your rainier trip was much more exciting than ours! what beautiful views. and i'm so glad the hotel worked out. no flashback to rio there!
It looks beautiful! Sorry we missed you. Maybe you can come down and we can do a waterfall trail hike with all the kids?
Sam is becoming quite the hiker! I need to visit so I can go along with you on one of these adventures.
Infinitely jealous. I have always wanted to go to Mt. St. Helens! The pictures are so beautiful. I would have loved to see "Secret Lake" in person. It looks good in the picture, so I'm sure it was amazing to see.
I think that motel is so charming! It doesn't look questionable at all. Rather, it looks quaint and like it has lots of character. Plus, it looks like a fun place to take pictures.
Oh, I mems the Grove of the Patriarchs! I'm so glad you were able to go there. I love, love, love hiking around Mt. St. Helen and Mt. Rainier.
What sort of backpack do you use to carry Sam when you hike? Do you like it? We don't have many good unpaved trails in our neck of the woods (unless you count cornfields), but someday I would like to visit some of the state parks down south, and I'm sure a stroller would not work for those hikes.
Those pictures look amazing!
Okay, so I pretty much want to relive your adventure with my own family. It sounds awesome, and we haven't visited Mount R. since we got here (I had to leave it to an initial since I can't remember how it is spelled).
Thanks for the comments! Next time we go, you are all invited to join us. (And yes, Ant Bee, we'd love to do a waterfall trail hike in your neck of the woods sometime.)
Kiersten, we have a Kelty backpack that is the "Elite" model, but ours is several years old (we bought it from someone off of Craig's List). It's a great one, though, and I think it can hold up to 55 pounds (although I don't know if we want to cart Sam around when he gets that heavy). It's been great, and we've definitely gotten our money's worth out of it.
Fabulous in every way.
Wow, what gorgeous photos! Looks like such a fun Labor day trip! We didn't end up going anywhere for ours. I love Mount Rainier, but I've never been to Mt. St. Helens, I need to add it to my list of places I want to see!
Post a Comment