John Lavery, Girl in a Red Dress Reading by a Swimming Pool, 1922
I saw this painting tonight and it made me immediately think of my mom. My mom wasn't really a fan of swimming, so I think she would connect with the woman who is reading in this painting. Plus, my mom also liked to read and would bring books with her when she knew that the activity wouldn't really interest her. She and my dad liked to tell the story of when my mom brought a book on a date with my dad. She wasn't interested in watching the basketball game, but she wanted to be with my dad, so she went and brought a book to read. My dad likes to explain how the whole crowd was on their feet, cheering for the players, except for my mom who was absorbed in her book.
I think my mom didn't really like swimming for two reasons. She didn't like getting exposed to the chemicals that were put in the pool, and and also didn't like wearing a swimsuit in front of other people. I can think of only one time that I saw my mom in a swimming suit, and it was a suit that had a skirt attached to it (so that she could cover up her body a little bit better).
Albert Edelfelt, Woman and Parasol, 1886
My obsession with Albert Edelfelt continues. I got a Kindle book that has images of all of his paintings, which led me to discover this one. Since the blossoms have started to come out, I particularly like this painting with the white tree blossoms in the background. I also love that the blossoms have created a dappled light effect on the parasol.
Seymour Joseph Guy, Summer Issue, 1861
I don't like this painting as much as Winslow Homer's Morning Glories (which has similar composition and subject matter) but it is still very nice. I like the color of the dress and the use of light and shadow (especially the contrast of the shaded area with the trees to the more open meadow in the background).



1 comment:
Ooooo! I love that first one. I think I may need a print. JB is the same way with books. He brought a book of poems to a baseball game when we were first dating. He brought a book to my parents' house last night when we went over for dinner ;)
Post a Comment